Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Hindi Bindi Club


I've been wondering which book to write about for days now, I have not been feeling like writing about Harry Potter although I will someday.
This book came to mind
"The Hindi-Bindi Club" by Monica Pradhan.
It's not really anything like my usual fare, but I liked the cover and the title and ordered it for work, I thought I could try to sell it to the libraries.
To my complete amazement I could not stop reading once I started, so I took it home and devoured it on a sunny afternoon this summer.
It's a book about mothers and daughters, the mother are Indian immigrants in the US and the daughters are born and raised there. The author explores the cultural differences between the generations and educates you in Indian history and culinary arts at the same time. It does not feel like a lecture though.
Every chapter features a recipe of mouth watering Indian dishes so don't read it hungry.
I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend it. I ended up buying the copy and giving it to my youngest aunt for her birthday and she was also taken with it.

6 comments:

elisabeth said...

well i guess it's been a while since i have checked this site since i didn't even know you put a new post up!
how you describe that book reminds me a little of The Joy Luck Club, only better.

Dagga said...

Yes it is joy luck clubish, but it does not matter since the cultures are so diffrent.

elisabeth said...

i just ordered it from the library and it will come nexy week. yippee!
Dagga have you heard of "Eat, Pray, Love" it seems popular and was recommended to me.

Dagga said...

No I have not heard of Eat, Pray, Love but I'm gona look it up the title is fun sounding.

aisy said...

elisabeth, i just finished reading eat, pray, love and really enjoyed it. she writes as though you are sitting across from her at a coffee shop... very personal and comfortable. i loved the middle section of the book the best. the last portion is just okay.

elisabeth said...

well i'm halfway through the hindi bindi club and you're right, it is a cultural learning experience. it's funny-it even mentions The Joy Luck Club on the back of the book.