Monday, May 29, 2006

Fanfiction


I am about half-way through Pride and Prejudice and am looking forward to being done so I can watch the movie, already! It has been a slow, difficult read so far. First of all, I had to "learn" the language before I could start enjoying it. Second, I just keep expecting it to be amazing, but it's not. I know I'm only half-way through it so maybe my amazement will come when I've completed it. I admit it's well-written, and there are times that I am completely absorbed in it and find myself smiling at the social commentary, but it has yet to live up to its reputation for me.

So, I was at the local library today and I noticed one of their new purchases was a book called An Assembly Such as This (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman: Book 1). It's book one in a trilogy of books taking the point of view of Mr. Darcy. When I was looking for it on Amazon, I noticed a lot of books derived from Pride and Prejudice; sequels,etc. I didn't realize that fanfiction was such a common thing. I hadn't actually heard the term until Dagga gave me The Night of the Triffids.

8 comments:

Dagga said...

Some times the hype ruins the actual experience of reading the book. Or watching the movie. I´m looking forward to hear what you think when you are finished. Espesially since I will probably never read Pride and Prejudice.

Anonymous said...

i bought the movie so you can borrow it when you're ready. I'm really scared of fanfiction because some of it is so bad and some of it ruins the real story, how do you know when fanfiction is worth it?

Anonymous said...

Liz already downloaded it.
In the area of "fan fiction" I saw a book about Oz that looked interesting called "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West".

aisy said...

um, if you watch the movie, please watch the bbc 6 hour version. it was so good and so true to the book.

Dagga said...

there is a musical on in New York based on that book Wicked. The author has written twists on well known fairytales like "Confessions of an ugly stepsister"(Cinderella) I saw an movie based on that one it was fun. "Mirror mirror" (snow white from the view point of the stepmother) "Lost" who apparantly is conected to a christmas carol and Jack the ripper and "Leaping beauty and other animal fairytales."

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of a play i read called "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol".
and how i'd like to see that musical about the pixies.

Anonymous said...

i only really liked the book AFTER i'd watched the 6 hour movie. watching it doesnt ruin the book at all, and it might make you more interested because you understand more of whats going on. at least thats how it was for me. the book was kinda boring before, and after i loved it.

elisabeth said...

i have a friend here who has the 6-hour version so i think i'll start it soon even if i'm not done the book. i'm about 3/4 through the book now and it's finally not boring.