Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Something pretty

Medicine Road by Charles de Lint, illustrated by Charles Vess is a lovely book. De Lint braids a beautiful story full of celtic and north american folklore and music. The characters are instantly likable and at the same time very human with all the flaws that come with that. It is a spiritual journey and a lovestory.
I´ve never been to Arizona where this story takes place but the characters/authors obvious love for the nature and the local culture woke a longing in me to visit the place which I never thought I would experience (there are scorpions and spiders in the desert). The illustrations by Charles Vess are beautiful, he really is one of my favorite fantasy artists. http://www.greenmanpress.com/
Bottom line is everybody should read it. I have now ordered everything I can find by this author for the store, (read as me) .

6 comments:

elisabeth said...

i wish i were in charge of buying books for the library here. it would be hard for me to buy for the public and not just for myself though.

Dagga said...

the city library is buying SF, Fantasy and horror exclusivly from me now and I can pick what ever I like, for the time being.

elisabeth said...

nice

Anonymous said...

i'm just going to have my own library. my parents have a leatherbound classics library that i get to inherit someday. Maybe if i ever get a job again it will be at the library of my kid's school. medicine road looks good.

Dagga said...

I wish...

Dagga said...

I really like the pen drawing inside the book too.