Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Planet called Treason



I just reread Treason by Orson Scott Card. It has been one of my all time favorite books for a long time. I remember my grandfather reading it to me and my cousin when we where kids. I must have been 7 or 8 at the time my cousin 11 or 12. He had a copy in English and translated it into Icelandic as he read on. I know now that he must have toned it down a bit for us as it is quite violent and bloody in parts. This is the third time I read it myself and it did not let down my memory of it. The story is almost lyrical at times, the character of Lanik starts out arrogant but ends up humble but always simpathetic. The violence is never just for violence sake it is always written to futher the story. The story itself is a journey of personal growth and a classical coming of age story, its also about greed, waste, and love. Orson Scott Card is one of the master writers of SF but he is very spiritual at the same time one of the few that can pull that of. Treason was only his second published novel but remains in my mind his best work beautiful in its simplicity, Ender´s game is a close second though.

7 comments:

elisabeth said...

Orson Scott Card is a Latter Day Saint. That's probably where the spirituality part comes from.

I'm glad the violence at least has a purpose.
I hate violence just for the sake of violence or sex just for the sake of sex. I don't see it as much in books but ALL the time in movies. It's so uncreative and unintelligent. It's like when people use the F word a million times, as a noun, adjective, verb, adverb, etc.

Anonymous said...

i've been wanting to read his SF someday. I have read his depictions of Sarah, rebecca and rachel from the old testiment. they are straight from biblical text with the gaps filled in. i really love these books. he really potrays them as heros along side their prophet husbands and he does it in a female perspective which is honourable for a man to pull off. I recomend any of them.

as for violence, that's probably why i havent read his SF yet although it exsists to a lesser extent in his "women from the old testiment" books too. I think i am more tolerant of violence in literature if it is a true event.

Anonymous said...

Treason is a great book. i just read it a few months ago. card's main characters are always so amazing. they can do anything and it makes them so cool. All the "ender" series is so good too, dagga, have you read the "alvin maker" series? It is my favorite i think, and i've read a ton of orson scott card books. it's a bit more fantasy than science fiction. halli you should read enders game then, i'll lend it to you. i love the women of genesis books too because he portrays them as such strong and capable women.

Anonymous said...

i don't think ender's game is very violent, is it?

Dagga said...

Ender´s game is about war, but it´s not violent in a blood and gore kind of way. It has been published in a young adult edition so it should be save : ). I´ve read the first two books in the Alvin Maker series I really like them, the idea is just so good and Cards characters are always a so endering.

Anonymous said...

have any of you read "the red tent"?

Anonymous said...

i love the red tent, I'll lend it to anyone who is interested. yes erika i will borrow ender's game even if i heard it was violent (that came from a mormon's mouth anyways)